Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The calm before the Nor'easter

"A powerful storm barreling up the Atlantic could drop as much as 17 inches of snow on Southern New England beginning sometime after midnight tonight." - so sayest the Boston Globe.

Where did the verb 'barreling' come from as it relates to a storm? I can imagine 18th century wharf workers unloading a ship load of barrels down a plank, and having one get loose on them. That would likely create a powerful storm of activity, depending upon the contents.

Getting back to the storm, when we get up tomorrow morning we will likely be greeted by a blizzard in progress. I think we are prepared for it. We have food, wood, candles, gas for cooking. Hopefully the power doesn't go out - but I wouldn't count on it.

There is a palpable sense of anticipation as the Cape prepares for another winter blast. It's always difficult to predict which side of the severity scale a Nor'ester on the Cape will fall. Will it be a Hurricane Earl - a total non event? Or a Cape Cod blizzard of 2005, where Mashpee received an astounding 40 inches on Jan 23.

The road was just getting in good shape for cycling again! I was looking forward to some riding this weekend, but I think we will get the snow shoes out instead.

I have been diligently using my new rollers in the basement this winter season. Jan and I are planning to spend a couple of weeks down in Vero Beach this Feb, and meet up with Jack, Fred, Bob and Steve. They will likely be in top cycling shape, and raring to brutalize me. Hopefully my indoor training will keep them from tearing the meat off my bones!




No comments:

Post a Comment